Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Commuting Scariness

I've never commuted by bike - never really had a commute that was close enough. Actually, my Seattle commute was so short I walked since it really wasn't worth getting the bike out. And ok, I probably could bike from Lexington to Newton but the quickest way isn't bike friendly and the bike friendly way is a tad too long. I promise to try it at least once a week next summer.

S commuted for years: Cambridge to Children's Hospital, Arlington to Dana-Farber, Arlington to Bedford, Fremont to The Fred Hutch (in Seattle) and probably her most favorite the Seattle Flagship REI store to our 12th floor company penthouse complete with doorman who helped her with her bike. Sweet! :)

Seattle is way more bike friendly than Boston. There are more bike lanes and generally just more respect for commuting cyclists. Whenever I visit my Seattle office, I'm still amazed how many cyclists fly by the main intersection in Fremont. Even in the winter when it's super dark and dreary during commuting hours, there always seem to be just as many cyclists as cars. And don't even get me started about my company's "bike garage". Indoor space with racks for at least 100 bikes, a fully stocked bike repair bench with every tool you could want, lockers to hang up wet riding gear, even a prime parking spot for the "Bike Commuter of The Month". In fact, if you commute by bike (or walk), you get $30 REI bucks a month (perfect for buying fenders, courtesy flaps and Ortlieb panniers for those 9 winter months of rain. )

Given all that, I was pretty shocked when I heard from some cycling friends in Seattle about a Bellevue (across the lake from Seattle) cyclist who was shot with BBs loaded in a 22. Unbelievable craziness. I still don't understand what makes some people despise cyclists so much. Hope they find the guy with BBs for brains and I hope the cyclist heals quickly.

No comments: