Monday, June 04, 2007

Just One Of Those Days

Sunday was one of those days that makes you believe that there's some higher power out there thinking he/she/it's going to have a little fun and it just happens to be your turn to be the object of their amusement.

The plan: head down to CT for a 9am mtb race (Channel Three XC Race). S was going to head down with me so I told Luna Chick (one of the ones who got us lost in the Fells a few weeks ago) we couldn't carpool.

Reality: Alarm triggers at 5am, roll out of bed, down some coffee and cereal and start getting my gear ready. S decided that her ankle really was hurting too much and it wouldn't be wise to stress it further in a race so she bows out to workout at home and do some chores/errands.

Pack up the car and head out. About 5 min from home, I realize I never put the pump in the car. (PITA #1). Return back home, pick up pump. On the road again. Usually, while driving to a race, I'm fired up, bopping to some tunes, and on the edge of my seat. This time, I was pretty low key - figured I was just tired and shouldn't have had that Mike's at Marta's the night before.

The weather has been a little unstable over the past few days. On my 90 min drive to the race, I saw blue sky, sun, drizzle, low clouds and just as I'm getting off on my exit, the sky opens and dumps so hard we're all going 30 mph and can't see. (PITA #2).

Next, apparently the gods have been playing with Google Maps. The directions I had had me turning right onto a non-existent street (PITA #3). I drove around in circles in the CT backwoods for a half hour until I finally found someone out for the morning walk and who fortunately could direct me to where the race was located.

I arrived at the race, found Luna Chick and chatted as we got our bikes ready. Pumped up the tires and shocks, donned shoes and then started searching for my helmet bag which besides my helmet, contains my gloves and glasses. Not in the back of the Fat Ass, must have left it in the front. Nope, not there either. Behind the seat? Nope. F*&^%$#@! Left it at home. (PITA #4)

Ok, well, let's at least tape on the GU so assuming I find a helmet, I'm good to go. Black electrical tape is also in helmet bag. ~sigh. But, Luna Chick to the rescue with some duct tape! Yay! I pull off a strip and use my teeth to rip it. Somehow, it sticks to my lips and when I rip it off, I draw blood. (PITA #5). Un-f(*&^!-believable.

Here's where the gods stopped playing with me (somewhat) and my luck changed. Headed to registration anyway thinking I could bum a helmet from someone. Chris, the race director, didn't have any spares but since he would be racing Expert hours later, he offered me his. It was way too big but if I left my sorry excuse for a ponytail in, it snugged up the helmet just enough. I also had to really shorten the straps so now I truly looked like a dork with a huge amount of excess straps hanging down.

By this time, it was 8:30 which meant no time really to pre-ride the course or warm up. Went out 10 min worth on the course and 10 back. Roll up to the start line - this time not muddy but still bloody from my encounter with the duct tape. The other girls also admired my combination of mtb and paintball bruises on my legs. Wasn't sure whether to say, "Bite me!" or "I'll rip your legs off so quit picking on mine." :)

Anyway, oh, yeah, the race. There were about a dozen of us at the start, 5 or so in my division but only one woman who I thought I'd need to worry about. "Pinky" had won my first mtb race and seemed to be in decent shape. She was starting in the front row, I was in the second directly behind and not worried since there was a good amount of trail to catch and pass the other riders. Sure enough, the whistle goes off, and it's Pinky off the front, followed by a 19-34 year old rider and about 5 riders then me. Slowly, I picked off the 5 riders, the younger girl passed Pinky (never to be seen again - we were dusted) and I was on Pinky's wheel. Coming to the first bridge she took a bad line, hit the bridge hard and endo'ed. Ouch. I passed her. She then passed me on the next big uphill. I passed her on the downhill (fascinating to see the battle between hardtail and FS in action). We traded places all through the race. This course was way hillier than any I've done so far - at least 3 big climbs, two of which I couldn't do even in the granny. And riding with sweaty hands and no gloves really made life exciting. ;-)

By the end of the first lap, we were still riding together and here's where I made my first tactical mistake. I ripped the GU off the handlebars thinking I was in the feedzone but I wasn't - ended up trying to eat GU, drink some water and climb a hill at the same time. This broke up my rhythm just enough to slow me down and allow Pinky to get a lead that I couldn't make up. She ended up beating me by 30 sec or so.

The good: I rode really well. First race that I didn't fall or add to my bruise collection. I rode everything except the two very large downed trees. There were lots of roots, rocks, short climbs, steep descents (one I handled so well the marshall was applauding, yelling "SO SMOOOOOTH!!!"). I rode a couple of tricky bridges that had either logs or rocks leading up to them, 8" planks across water, all kinds of fun stuff. I loved the feeling of riding the off camber section fast, feeling/hearing the shocks working hard, the bike doing what I tell it and just feeling more confident on the bike - I've learned how to use the sliding rear wheel on turns rather than freaking out or fighting it. Really loved the course. And I'm thinking I want to do sport and be out there for one more lap.

Lessons learned: Make sure all the gear is in the car, don't trust Google Maps/MapQuest/etc., don't get duct tape stuck on lips (or if it's already too late, remove gently). Oh yeah, pre-ride the course if at all possible. And try a little bit harder. 30 sec isn't all that much.

Final result: 3rd woman overall, 2nd in age group

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Yikes - someone really was messing with you! You fared better than some of the rest of the team in terms of crashes this weekend, and they were racing on the ROAD!

Congrats on the finish. You'd better move up to sport pretty soon, or I'm gonna start calling you a sndbagger ;).