Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Cars Vs. Bikes



This morning's ride was a vivid reminder that when cars hit bikes, the cars never lose. S and I headed around 7am for what we thought would be an uneventful ride. The plan was to head out toward Hanscom together where I would take off to do some of my threshold work and meet up with her at Peet's for a post-ride coffee. It was a beautiful morning to ride - bright blue sky, little wind and about 65. Couldn't get much more perfect than that. After the downhill at Hanscom, I picked up the pace for my first 15 min segment. Turning off Virginia Road, I saw a few bikes down, an ambulance, Concord police and a few cars stopped in the middle of the road. As I passed closer to the ambulance, an older gentleman was down on the pavement, face full of blood and one mangled bike on the road. Could really tell what happened, and I didn't stop to ask as they were loading him onto a stretcher. Silently, I said a little prayer for the guy and reminded myself to ride like a Sicilian (don't trust anyone, watch my back and be super aware).

The 15 min segment takes me approximately to the National Park. S took the short cut through Concord Center so I was hoping I'd catch up with her soon. As I approached the 4-way stop at Barrett's Mill Road, I see S already there and talking to another cyclist. As I rode up, I noticed his bike. One leg of his carbon fork was broken off. He looked fine, though. No blood. Pointed out how his the seat tube was pretty busted and he described the accident. Luckily, he ended up on top of the car hood and at slow speed. He fared much better than this bike. As we were chatting, the other leg of his fork, made a sad creaking noise, broke off and the bike slowly crumpled on the sidewalk. Ow.

Ride safe out there.

No comments: