Sunday, May 20, 2007

A Weekend of Watching....

I've been training like a crazy person the past few months and just completed four weekends straight of racing. Adding up the fact that I've been feeling kind of tired plus a lousy weekend forecast and the fact that I didn't visit Mom on Mother's Day, I chose to head to CT with Mother's Day presents instead of a bike. An added bonus was that my niece Michelle had a weekend long softball tournament close by. For the first time in recent memory, I got to be a spectator rather than a participant.

Let me just say that given the 50 degree weather, wind and drizzle, it was way harder being on the sidelines than playing. See the pictures of me and Sue for proof. The aluminum bleachers made our butts numb in 2/3rds of an inning. The drizzle besides being bone chilling made life dangerous as Sue would move the umbrella around coming close to poking my left eye out.

Michelle played two great games. It's such a strange feeling to see this 11 year old out there playing a game I love. Stranger yet, remembering 10 years ago when we'd sit on the floor and roll a ball back and forth to each other when she could barely sit up. She plays catcher as I did and she barely fits into the equipment. Worse yet, as one of the younger and lighter players, it was difficult for me to watch her get ready to block the plate as a girl twice her size was racing the throw home. (She did block it, she did hold on to the ball, but the throw was late. Bummer.)

Two last thoughts: 1) I REALLY wish we could be playing on the same team right now. I think it would be a total blast and I think we'd kick some serious butt.

2) I still haven't thawed out from those damn bleachers.

No comments: