Thursday, May 03, 2007

Will Ride Hills For Coffee....


This morning's scheduled workout was for hill repeats. I'm not sure exactly why but I LOVE hills. There's something about getting into a groove, grinding it out, powering up, dancing on the pedals and just rising above everything and getting the view. In my case, the view is of downtown Boston from Arlington after climbing Eastern Ave. There's an elementary school on that street so on my way up and down today, the crossing guard was my personal cheering section offering all kinds of encouragement, some of it making me laugh which isn't easy when you're in the middle of coughing up a lung.

You're going up again?!?!
You're slower this time! Pick it up!
The kindergarteners can beat you to the water tower!
Mmmmm....no thanks, I'd rather watch you and drink my coffee. (when asked if she'd like to join in the fun)
But best of all, my friends Richard and Sally live at the top of the hill with Grady the Sheltie and since it was trash day on his street, I ran into him as he was hauling out his recycling. He's promised to leave a steaming mug of coffee on top of the hill next week. Now, if I can just convince him to leave a chocolate frosted donut with sprinkles alongside....I'll be just a blur to that crossing guard. ;-)

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Have you tried MapMyRide? You can import your routes from gmap-pedometer, and it has some pretty good elevation features, including calculating total ascent and descent of your route.

Cathy said...

Yuck - hills! MMM - coffee ;). Good for you for getting out early. I ended up doing an easy 17 mile ride with Mike...