Monday, May 28, 2007

Crashing in Vermont



Headed north yesterday to ride the Coyote Hill Classic in Vermont. Vermont is supposed to have some of the best mountain bike riding in the northeast. While I don't know if it's the best, this course was definitely the most technical I've ridden yet. And as the video shows, I even managed to endo while checking out the course during the pre-ride.

We arrived at the race two hours before the start. S had planned on riding the First-Timer division but hadn't yet registered. Headed over to registration for me to pick up my number and well, turns out, no First Timer division so they threw her in my race. Uh oh. The Luna Chick who had talked her into doing it had ridden the course on Saturday and later told us, if she had our phone number, she would have called to say, "Yeah...may not want to do this course as your first race." Hey...we're tough. Who cares?

I remembered to bring the helmet cam with me this time so I strapped it on my helmet, found out which way the course headed out, and S and I went out to do a pre-ride (you can view the video here). It started off in a grassy field (I HATE grass...even in cross....it just annoys the crap out of me), then into a short single track and back into a grassy UPHILL field (source of much grumpiness). Next, a short section on a dirt road (still uphill but what did I expect? This was Vermont!). Finally, a hard right turn into the woods on a very fun, fast, downhill, twisty single track. Loved that part. The course had a few steep downhill sections, more than a few stream crossings, lots of roots (my fave - NOT!), lots of twisties, ups, downs, 180s and just simply a total blast. Fortunately, it wasn't wet because that would have made the roots treacherous.

The course was supposed to be 6 miles long. About one mile into the course, I hit the first steep downhill marked with 3 red arrows. I'm not quite sure what happened because it wasn't that steep, didn't have wheel traps, loose rocks, etc but 3/4 of the way down, I totally planted the front wheel and catapulted over the handlebars. (That's the video at the beginning of this post.) A quick check and neither I nor my bike was broke although I was sure I'd be getting a few more bruises and a trickle of blood was running down my right leg from a cut on my knee. A quick look around and I was certain no one had witnessed the event. Whew!

After 2.25 miles, it was 45 min before the start and I couldn't decide whether to finish the loop or backtrack in order to make it back before the start. Chose to backtrack (bad choice - I was much closer to the finish than my computer told me) which meant climbing that sweet downhill section. Nothing like a good warm up.

Rolled up to the start with about 10 other women (including S who was being a great sport about the whole thing) and like my previous races, I was muddy and bloody. This is beginning to become quite the trend for me. I'm uncertain whether it's such a great habit. Goals for the race were as follows: 1) don't get hurt 2) get a great start 3) finish 4) keep the leader's jersey

The officials give last minute instructions, the whistle goes off and I punch it. I'm second into the first singletrack which is just fine with me since I'm planning on ripping everyone's legs off on the climb before the first turn. I know I'm in better shape aerobically than almost anyone in my division (it's my technical skills that suck) so I figured if I could blow them away on the hill and be first to the turn into the woods, I could recover on the downhill, twisty section. As soon as I hit the road (second one on there) I locked out the shocks and rode that bike like a it was a road bike, jamming up that hill and catching the one girl who was in front. Yeah! Hole shot into the woods and I never gave it up. Just totally enjoyed the ride, pushed hard the entire time, caught two guys (one riding a full rigid single-speed so he doesn't count ;-)

Best part - didn't crash once in the race. I think I'm actually starting to get this mtb thing. Finished first overall and first in my age group. Kept the leader's jersey and received a very cool Coyote Hill jersey as my prize (along with a gold medal). Took home a few bruises and scratches as well.

And, btw, S finished as well. Not too shabby for someone with what I believe is a broken wrist (from Wednesday night's ride) and a hurt ankle. Awesome. That was the real achievement of the weekend.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Nice job! I remember that race. The year that I did it, they had JUST CUT all of the singletrack sections, so they were soft and spongy. Oh yeah - and I had crashed HARD in a race the day before getting some pretty good rash action on my forearm, making any bumps hurt like heck in that race. Can't remember where I finished, but I know I did ;-).

Congrats to S as well! What the heck happened on your ride?