Saturday, July 14, 2007

Flats


What is it with me and flat tires this week? Thursday morning I headed out to do a 32 mile ride. Right smack in the middle of a great downhill around 25 miles into my ride, I hear, "PING! Pshttttt!" and feel that dreaded let down rear flat tire feeling. "Crap!" I said as I passed a jogger heading the opposite direction. I think he thought I had Tourette's.


Then Friday I head down to CT to pick up the newly fixed Bobtail. The guys at New Country BMW were super nice. Had a hard time walking past the new 328xi Sports Wagons in the showroom. Didn't help that the service guy was whispering, "Trade in...trade in..." in my ear. Soon, I'm sure but not quite yet. Anyway, since I was in CT figured it would be a perfect excuse to drop in on mom and dad, hang out, get some good pasta and give my dad his belated Father's Day present (bad daughter - very late.) Later that evening, we decided to head out to walk off our dinner. As we walked up the driveway, my mom looks at my car and says, "Uh oh. You have a flat!" Yep. Sure was. Flat, flat, flat.

The next day, dad and I take it to the station. Turns out to be a faulty valve. Got it fixed and headed back up to Beantown, hoping I'd have enough time to get a short ride in. Rushed home, threw on shorts and a jersey. Out to the garage, grab the Merlin, pump up the front tire, move to the rear tire. And yep, it was flat. While I was at it, I checked out Rocket. And of course, it's rear tire was also soft. Someone is trying to tell me something.

No comments: