Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Let's Not Go There

Since I couldn't race this weekend, I drove the MINI (top down, baby!) to CT to visit my parents. I missed Father's Day the previous weekend since I was flying back from SF. Got to give my dad his present (which is also a present for me) - two seats behind home plate in Yankee Stadium for a late August game. We'll get one last trip down there before they tear it down at the end of the season.

But anyway, while there our discussion turned to politics. My parents are staunch republicans so we don't really see eye-to-eye which makes for some interesting (to say the least) dinner conversations. But we kept it civil, no one jumped up from the table crying and I didn't resort to drinking straight from the wine bottle. Interestingly enough, given how bad a job W has done, I think that had Hillary won the nomination my dad would be voting for her in November. That's saying a lot since he was pretty vehemently against her when she ran for the NY senate seat. But neither of my parents is a Barack fan. Can't say they like McCain either. I'm in the same boat. Barack annoys me - reminds me of all those frat boys I dealt with at Brown who always seemed to exude this attitude of arrogance mingled with entitlement. But at least I believe in what he says he'll try to accomplish.

I'm still wishing my girl Hillary was still in it. I think I'm still smarting from the realization that it still is widely accepted in this country to be sexist. Seeing those guys at one of the NH primary rallies waving signs that said, "Iron my shirts!" and hearing the news commentators chuckle about it really drove that point home. Imagine it had been a Obama rally and the signs read, "Shine my shoes!" I don't think the news guys would have been chuckling and the guys with the signs would have probably never been shown on TV or perhaps even allowed at the rally.

Shortly after I returned home, I received a link to this video. I'm thinking about forwarding it to my parents - a return volley for the liberal bashing email they usually send me (all in good fun).

1 comment:

Cathy said...

OMG! I was laughing out loud at that video. i don't think you should send it to your parents though...