Monday, August 25, 2008

Current Obsession

I'm not sure why. I can't explain it. But lately, I've become completely obsessed with building the absolute coolest single speed bike to use as a commuter.

Here's what I know: 1) it has to be a single speed 2) it has to have disc brakes 3) I don't want to break the bank (so that rules out custom frames)

I started playing with the idea of using a 29er frame, like a Surly Karate Monkey (and no, not just because I like the name). I thought it would be cool to be able to swap out the 700c wheels when not commuting and throw on some mtb wheels. Only problem is I'm too short to ride a 29er frame. At least that's my understanding given all the 29er frame specs I've been reading up on lately. Really should have drank more milk as a child. ;-)

Then I thought about the Surly 1x1. But the mtb geometry wouldn't be so good for commuting. So now I've started looking a 'cross frames that have disc tabs on them. Not so easy to find since the UCI banned disc brakes for 'cross. Anyone have some ideas? Vicious Cycles has The Slider but that's a bit more than I was looking to pay for a frame/fork. Soma has the Double Cross DC and I was thinking that may be the ticket. But, no, wrong dropouts for SS. ~sigh

Hoping that perhaps other options will pop up at Interbike next month.

2 comments:

OldYeller said...

Hi, Teri - I'm using an MTB hardtail frame for commuting. Works great with Nokian Hakkapelitta studded tires, which are much wider and better for me in the 26" size than the 700c. Trail might not be ideal but the right rigid fork could fix that. IF built mine, and I think they can adjust the offset for free, so you could tune that way. I use 6cm trail and it works great on the road with these studs or 1.125" slicks.

Cathy said...

You need to talk to the SS master... There are only about 4 currently sitting at my house, with another about to be built. He has all the answers, and got all the guys to build SS rigs this year.

Oh - and I am going to Interbike, so I'll keep my eyes open ;)