Thursday, August 28, 2008

Switchin' It Up


I have another business trip coming up in a little over a week. This one to NYC and I'll need to leave Sunday afternoon. This puts a serious crimp in my plans to race the Landmine MTB race. Technically, I can still do it but I'm just not up to the craziness that will be caused by doing a 25 mile MTB race that starts at 10am. Then throw in a long drive to CT, followed by a train to Manhattan and somewhere along the line cleaning myself and bike up - my brain is exploding just comtemplating it.

Fortunately, there's another event that I'm actually incredibly psyched to do. The Montrail Run Like A Girl Train Run that's happening at Great Brook Farm. I fell in love with trail running on a half marathon trail race at Point Reyes. I know the views won't be nearly as good and there won't be a quarter mile finish on a sandy beach but northeast woods have their own charm. There's something pure about running. And it gets even more distilled down to its essence when there's dirt under foot rather than pavement.

Now I need to get my ahead around the fact that I can no longer run an 8k in under 35 min. Easy enough - I just look to S who's going to do it with me on an ankle that's basically fused and shouldn't run a step. And I realize that it's not my finish time, it's not crushing my age group, it's not putting the hammer down, it's not any of that. It's just doing it. Get out there. Run hard. Get sweaty. Finish with a Mike's. I'm there, baby!

No comments: