Friday, September 22, 2006

It's All Over

Wah!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, it's September and I've been back at work now for exactly 14 working days. I haven't posted in over two months. Cross season has begun, the Yankees have clinched the AL East, football has started, the leaves are changing, there's a chill in the air and I'm still wishing I was bobbing around the hahbah on the J24 with Danno (a.k.a. The Buoy Basher - more on that later). :-)

So whats blog etiquette when you haven't posted in over two months? Do I do a quick post summarizing what I did? Do I just skip it and get on with current events? I'm not sure...so in that case, I'll simply recap the highlights so I can remember them later.

Mid-July my parents came to visit and we went up to Kennebunkport. Interesting place and we had a good time. It's nice that I can still vacation with my parents and enjoy it.

TCB came to visit for a weekend, overlapping by a few hours with my parent's. This is how you judge a true friend - someone who sits on a runway in DC for something like 6 hours waiting for thunderstorms to clear in Boston. Originally slated to arrive around 6pm, she finally staggered to the back door around 1am, still smiling, though! Furthermore, a true friend also trusts a water-fearing land-lubber. She became my first passenger as I took a Soling out on my own for the first time. I was aided by the fact that there was almost no wind and that TCB didn't mind hanging over the bow to retrieve mooring lines, tacking the jib, or folding the sails. I think she would have helped paddle too had the wind not finally picked up. We were starting to think that I was going to have to dump her at Logan from the hahbah rather than drive her there for her departing flight.

I spent the next few weeks sailing with Dan as often as possible on Solings. We actually became more proficient and confident although there was one day when the winds were around 25 knots and we didn't have the storm sails on. Both of us couldn't wait to get the boat back to the mooring. Funny how those conditions can be so frightening when you're not experienced and a blast when you are. I wish I could describe the feeling of when you have the sails trimmed just right, the boat perfectly balanced and you're just flying over the water, tasting the spray. Yum!

No comments: