Friday, September 22, 2006

Sucker Brook Cross

This past weekend was the Sucker Brook Cyclocross Race. It was my first cross race in nearly two years. And yes, it showed. And yes, it was still a blast.

It was a weird feeling to be racing cross on a 80 degree, sunny, dry day. More like a California cross race than New England. Note to my new pit crew (a.k.a. The Support Ho's): please have a bottle for me in the feed zone. Although given my current fitness level, I'm sure it wouldn't have helped my results.

We lined up a little before 9am. The field was probably around 60+ in four divisions (Men's B Masters, Men's C, Women's B and Juniors). We originally thought they were going to start us all simultaneously but fortunately they decided to go with a wave start with 60 seconds between the men's fields and 30 sec between us and the men and juniors.

My basic goal for the day was to not get pulled. My super stretch goal was to lead after a lap and then melt away. The plan was to sprint off the line, get the hole shot and attack out of every remount, hill climb, and turn. I accomplished not getting pulled. ;-)

The whistle went off and Blake was off the line like a bullet! How do people accelerate so fast! It felt like she was over the horizon and I hadn't even completed three pedal strokes! Funny how perception and reality diverge, though. As we left the pavement for the left hand turn onto the gravel road, I was 4th back. Not so damn bad! After the short gravel bit, we entered a long twisty section on grass complete with one set of barriers, 4 short climbs (one being one of those quick, short downhill-U turn-back up hill dealies), and some off-camber bits. I don't like riding on grass. It bugs me.

Leaving the grass for the woods, we tore up some double track with a few roots and rocks and one steep gully you could slam down and launch back up to get some air. That part rocked. The woods became the one section where I tried to recover on each lap. There was a sharp left turn where some guys were watching and every lap through I got a, "Go Surly!" which always made me ride a little harder.

After the woods was the dreaded sand pit. Actually, two sand pits separated by a quick bit of grass. I couldn't decide on the best way to tackle this section. The first bit of sand really wasn't ridable due to timbers making it kind of a raised sand box for kids. Then you hit the grass with more deep sand followed by a quick, uphill left turn on grass. I tried riding the grass and second sand pit and was successful doing so but not sure that was the quickest way. I should have spent more time there in the practice laps watching others and their approaches.

Anyway, after the sand was more grass, then asphalt where we originally started. Coming around after two laps, I barely breathing as they held up the lap card. Three laps to go. (!?!?!?) Seeing that, I thought I better throttle back because I was sure I would blow up before finishing 3 laps at the current pace. I don't think I was passed by any women in that lap but I sure didn't push to catch someone. In retrospect, very bad move.

As I came around for the next lap, the lap card read 1 lap to go. What?!!?!? Now, I was really confused. A distracting conversation started in my brain: Does that mean there's one lap to go AFTER this one? Did I hallucinate? Did I pass out during a lap? What the f*&^%? There was some other voice yelling in my head, "JUST RIDE LIKE YOU MEAN IT!" Finally, the little brain argument reached an agreement - they were ringing a bell, it's the bell lap. Just get to the finish and you're done! (In my stupor, I had been lapped by the men's leaders and in cross when the leaders finish, everyone finishes.)

So I put down the hammer and rode as hard as I could. I'd like to think I was flying but in actuality I was most likely barely moving given how hot and tired I was. I tried to make it look good for the Surly boys, S provided great encouragement in the sand pit (and all over the course during the race) and sprinted (yeah, right) up the pavement to the finish line just like with S on Mill St. Finished, done, happiness! 14th place. I wasn't last and didn't get pulled.

My teammates did well, too. 5th, 6th, 12th, 15th, 16th, and 17th. Go NEBC!

Now I'm off the bike for a week during a business trip. Looking forward to Gloucester (where I'm sure I'll really get spanked) in early October.

No comments: