Monday, November 24, 2008

A Realization


I love cars almost as much as I love bikes and shoes. It's a good thing that both bikes and shoes are cheaper. Usually. My winter car is an eleven year old BMW 318ti. I keep thinking I should trade it in for some newer, spiffier model. But with only 86k miles and most of the mechanical systems recently overhauled, I should get another 100k miles out of it. And that's fine - it's actually still a very fun car to drive. If I need something to get my pulse up even more, I'll take the Go-Kart-On-Crack (a.k.a. The MINI) out for a spin.

Since I have now admitted to myself that I'm not getting rid of it any time soon, I opted to buy four new wheels and Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires for it. Ordered them on online at TireRack. The whole package (tires, pretty nice wheels, mounting, delivery, etc.) cost less than the wheels on my CX bike. WTF?!?!? Then I realized that the bikes I'm throwing on the roof rack on that car are worth more than the car that's ferrying them.

Somehow, that just seems sick and wrong.

No comments: