Friday, February 22, 2008

More Winter Riding


Hard to believe, but I haven't boarded with TCB (a.k.a. "Frank") in over three years. We kept talking about it but never got it together. Finally, the stars aligned and due to business travel to the west coast, we made plans to head to
Tahoe for the weekend.

Gotta love packing a snowboard bag for a business trip. No, Gracie didn't managed to get stuffed in there. Fortunately, United hadn't instituted their new policy of having to pay to check a second bag.

Wanting to avoid the crowds, we decided we'd play hooky on Friday and left San Jose Thursday evening. The Sports Wagon was stuffed with both of our snowboard gear, my 10 days worth of luggage, Frank's suitcase and spin stuff (she had to teach spin class before we headed out.)

We drove as far as Auburn that night. Well, Frank drove, I slept. Spent the night at the local Best Western which had make-your-own-waffles (including regular and individual mini waffles) for breakfast. Yum.

After breakfast we headed to Sugar Bowl. It felt SO good to be out of those long days of meetings followed by dinner/events with coworkers. It was a perfect day - sunny, blue skies, warm and little wind. This was my first time at boarding there. The snow was decent snow (yes, I'm getting spoiled by all the snow on the east coast this year) and it was great to try out some new trails. We kept it easy and I managed to not let Frank into talking me into hurling myself down some of the black diamond cliffs - we'd save that for later in the weekend. ;-)

The Columbian joined us on Saturday since he was also out west for our work meetings. We decided to board Homewood because we'd had a previous epic day there and plus the views of the lake from the are just incredible. I'd forgotten just how incredible when on my first run down High Grade I caught a glimpse of the lake out of my peripheral vision, felt like I was going to fall right off the slope and into the lake and almost biffed it. IMHO, that is the most spectacular view from any ski slope I've ever encountered.

Awesome day of riding. Got my own chicken sandwich for lunch (usually split one with Frank - it's tradition) but we were both too hungry. And it seems that all the leg work in the gym is paying off. My legs lasted through most of both days of boarding without a problem. :) Followed up the day with some pinot and great Italian food at a small place called Fiamma's in Tahoe City. Yum.





























No comments: