Monday, October 29, 2007

Weekend With Frank


TCB came to visit this weekend. Visiting Boston is always better than being stuck in RTP for a business trip. Lately, I've taken to calling her Frank after Frank Purdue. This came about because all Frank eats is CHICKEN. Ok, sometimes she'll branch out to a salad or pasta with maybe some shellfish on it, but really it's always CHICKEN. Or perhaps a turkey burger but hey, it's still poultry so that's splitting hairs, really. When I told her about her new nickname, she seemed pretty perplexed. Turns out they don't sell Purdue in California. Who knew? When I lived in Seattle I could have sworn the local Fred Meyer's carried Purdue chicken there but as she's quick to remind me, Seattle isn't California. Whatever. She eats way too much CHICKEN.

Picked her up at Logan Friday night and headed to the south end for our reservations at Hamersley's Bistro. Cute, French bistro with great stuff on the menu. And, of course, Frank had the "world famous" CHICKEN And not just once. Because I'm definitely not the hostess with most-ess, she had the leftovers Saturday night as we avoided the Boston rain, watched DVDs and stayed most definitely low key after a long day of 'cross racing and eating, what else, but turkey burgers at the brew pub (washed down with pumpkin ale, of course. Yum.)

Sunday I talked her into taking a pre-race spin with me on the Canton 'cross course. Luckily, she's my size so handed her the Surly, my pink flame helmet, some gloves and a jacket. Awesome kick-ass trooper that she is, she went out there with her newly chopped in half thumb (kitchen accident while slicing, what else but CHICKEN!). A third of the way in, she biffs it in a muddy section but pops right back up, jumps back on and keeps hammering. About halfway through, we stop for a bit and she says, "This is FUN! I really like it!" (More than CHICKEN, I wonder?) She finished up the lap still smiling and I think I even may have been able to get her to race if her thumb hadn't been throbbing.

Today, she asked me for a list of California 'cross races. I think I have another 'cross convert. :-D

1 comment:

Cathy said...

It was great fun to meet "Frank" this weekend. How can someone like chicken that much? Tell her I said thanks for cheering so loudly at Brockton - definitely helped!