Wednesday, October 24, 2007

No Whining

It was just one of those mornings. Grey, spitting skies, I'm tired and really don't feel like riding but hey, I really need to do a 'cross workout. After my crash before one of my 'cross workouts a few weeks ago, I've changed my warm up to be on the bike path instead of Mass. Ave. By coincidence, I read about a cyclist (and avid 'cross racer) killed by a garbage truck who pulled the same bright maneuver as the minivan driver who hit me did. So, I try psyching myself up for the ride, telling my brain, "Hey, lame ass, at least you're not lying dead under the wheels of some truck. Make the most of it. Ride like you mean it. Don't squander a morning workout by whining that you're tired...i don't feel like it...wah, wah, wah."

Got my butt dressed and out the door. Decided to take Mr. Surly (who's sporting his spiffy, new graphics thanks to me and my Sharpie paint pens) instead of the Seven for a change. I think the Surly feels neglected. ;-) That was just the straw that broke the workout's back. Oh man...lugging that thing up the hill 10x was SO not fun. I can't believe how much heavier it is. The whole workout, all I could think about was, "Kill me now." and then I'd think of that dead dude in Portland, look down at the Surly's top tube with its new "Bite Me!" slogan, and ended up doing a few extra laps.

No comments: