Friday, October 19, 2007

Gloucester - The Races


Despite the skinsuit woes, I did manage to have a couple of decent races at Gloucester. I'm not necessarily totally pleased with how they went but am trying look for the silver lining of any glimmer of progress since last year. You know the new Matchbox Twenty song "How Far We've Come"? That's pretty much been my theme song this season. What happens when you take a runner, take away her running shoes, and entice her to ride her bike every day instead of pounding out the miles? No marathons, no half-marathons, no 10ks, not even a 5k. Is it true? If you ride every day can you be a better bike racer? I think the jury is still out on that...

Saturday: had a nice front row start. Advice given to me was to make sure I was in the big ring for the start and given that I learned that pretty well this season, I was sure to follow it. My goal was to get a good shot, get as far up front as possible and then fade back over the course of the race. I was also hoping not to get lapped by any of the women. Pre-rode the course and while it was fun, I didn't like it. Doesn't suit me - definitely a roadies course with lots of straight-aways to power on. Not my forte. At the whistle, I punched it but I always forget how long that hill is! I was dying by the time we hit the dirt. I pretty much held my place until we hit the first quick uphill where two juniors had to hop off their bike and forced me to dismount as well. Not a happy camper. (Note to self: start racing the A race so you don't need to deal with Juniors - Oh to have a course all to my own field!) Tried playing catch up after that and eventually caught on to my teammate Lorraine's wheel. Hung on for dear life for two laps or so. On the last lap, was forced to dismount in the sand pit as some girl tried to pass me and crashed. Grrrr. Lost Lorraine's wheel but the race was pretty much done by then. 5 laps in 44:35. Ok, better than last year where I was pulled BEFORE the men's B race leader passed me. Good enough for 33rd place out of 52 starters.

Sunday: goals were to ride faster than Saturday and finish higher. And not to fade on the uphill start this time. During Saturday's race, a few of the guys from MRC were critiquing me each time up the asphalt hill (gee...that must be what friends are for.) I did take some of it to heart - "Teri - you're spinning too fast! Shift! More power!" so that was another goal along with riding the entire course in the big ring. Got a much better start this time (I did manage to sprint the entire way to the dirt and not die) and got into lots of bumping and shoving on the first few grassy turns. Lost touch with the leaders on the gravel path and then randomly hopped on someone's wheel throughout the race. Last lap, I was trading places with the one other woman back and forth. After the run up, she lost her chain so I was able to put some good distance on her along with passing one other woman in the sand pit (which I rode all 5 times on Sunday!). Finishing time: 5 laps in 42:21 for 24th place out of 42 starters. Way faster than Saturday but the course was also faster so that accounted for some of my speediness.

I'm consoling myself with the fact that I AM routinely finishing ahead of women who were beating me last season. But then again, there are those who were finishing after me last year who are totally kicking my butt. ~sigh

Oh - and I did get to watch the Elite Women's race on Saturday. Before that Lyne Bessette rode the men's 2/3 race for a 7th place finish as a warm up. Then she blew away the women's field. Wow. Just wow. I can't even fathom how that's humanly possible. Wow.

And second Oh! I'm so damn proud of my team. Lots of red/white/blue jerseys out there, lots of fun, awesome results!

No comments: