Thursday, October 25, 2007

Why I'm So Damn Slow

My team at work is currently down two developers. Being the crazy manager that I am, I've volunteered to do some coding this sprint (yeah, haven't done it in years so I'm not sure my guys know exactly what they're getting into). But anyway, I find myself with more down time since I'm waiting for compiles, files to sync and just plain brain numbness from staring at code. During these times, I start reading 'cross blogs (see previous post). So this morning, I found a possible explanation for my 'cross slo-mo speed on Simon Burney's blog. Simon says,

So if you are training hard and don't think that your race results quite match your level of fitness spend some time thinking about where you lose time, especially where people nip past you. If its before these sections then its probably technique (late braking, correct line), the need for more recovery (trying to get a couple of breaths in freewheeling before the corner/sandpit/run-up), fear (approaching hurdles too fast gotta scrub some speed off), or simply not concentrating. If its after a section then see above; come out of of it and hit it hard to get back up to speed, only then can you sit on a wheel and get a quick recovery. Finally if people are getting past you during the section, its likely to be technique at race-speed which is letting you down.
I will read that 20 times, think about the races so far this season and see what I should work on. Looks like I have some homework to do and stuff to concentrate on for this weekend's races. See you at Brockton and Canton!

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Someone taught me last season - 3 hard pedal strokes out of EVERY corner and obstacle... I've been practicing this and it really helps!

p.s.
You are NOT slow.