Monday, April 28, 2008

DFL But Not DNF


Wasn't sure what to expect for the outcome of this race. My training, while not non-existent, has been a bit sporadic due to work and family travel. On top of that, throw in a self-diagnosis of giardiasis that made it hard to keep any food in for the previous 4 days, I was thinking I'd be lucky if I finished. But who am I kidding - secretly I wanted to be sharing the podium with Cathy and any other NEBC woman who showed up (wouldn't that be cool?!?!).

Pre-rode the course with Cathy, Mike and Wayne. Knew right then I was in trouble - instead of being fun and easy, I was holding on for dear life and marveling how fast those guys rode so effortlessly. During the pre-ride, we came up to THE LOG (same from last year) that I didn't ride because the girl in front of me endo'd. I dismounted and was about to step over when Cathy chided, "Ride it, Teri!" So, I backed up the trail and rode it! There's even photographic proof (thanks, Mike! Pic on left stolen from Cathy's camera.) The course was fun, twisty single track. No rock gardens, no stream crossings, pretty much just plain fun. Loved it. Better than last year's beginner course which had a lot of fireroad.

I spun out in the sand at the start of the race but passed two women who got stuck in the stand at the uphill right turn. I held my place for the first bit (including dusting a few riders as I rode THE LOG -thanks, Cath!). By the time we hit the first uphill section, I knew I was toast. I had absolutely nothing. HR was pegged at 95% and I was going miserably slow and being passed. Wah.

During the second lap, besides feeling horrible I had to deal with the masses of men sport riders passing me. Not fun and really messed with me getting in a rhythm. I did manage to pass two of the older male sport riders. Gotta count the little victories. As I finished the second lap, all the men were heading for the finish line. Very hard to go out for another lap.

Third lap was all about survival and just finishing. Which I did. (Click the map to the left to see all the gory details). First sport XC race completed. Compared to my performance last year, my skills have really improved. No falls, rode everything. Never dabbed once. For me, that's an accomplishment. Just have to get the fitness back to last year's level (or better). Best part: seeing Cathy and Wayne on the podium (I missed seeing Mike up there as I had to leave early.) I think I have some new converts to MTB racing!



1 comment:

Cathy said...

You did awesome out there! That was so much fun (and so much suffering...). I'm impressed with your HR - that's exactly what mine was for the race as well.

Remember - I've never given up on my MTB, just took a break from racing. I'm guessing that hiatus is over now though ;-). See you Thurs.