Tuesday, April 01, 2008

The 5 Year Milestone


Last week I had my annual appointment for my mammogram and check up with my surgeon at Beth Israel. Oddly enough, it was almost exactly 5 years from the day I had my first mammogram at 40 that I was certain I'd pass with flying colors but crashed and burned instead. I don't really stress about these annual checkups now, but this one was a biggie. 5 years means I no longer need to get all the additional mammogram views (top, bottom, sideways, magnified, stand on your head, etc. ;-) ) and my risk for recurrence while higher than the average woman, falls a bit.

S and I headed downtown early Thursday morning and headed for the radiology department at Beth Israel. Get undressed, put on one of those stellar johnnies, and hang out in the waiting room until they call you. I still think they should offer manicures and pedicures in there while you wait - make some use of the time! While I'm there for a routine mammogram, there are other women there waiting for more advanced procedures like getting a wire marker inserted before heading off to lumpectomy surgery. Having been in their hospital slippers before, part of me wants to say to them, "Don't worry - it'll be ok." But I never do because I remember how much I hated hearing that said to me at the time. I always wanted to calmly reply, "No, we don't KNOW it'll be ok. But we can hope." So sometimes I just catch their glance, kind of nod and give them a look of encouragement.

Finally they call my name. My technician let me look at the digital pics with her and while I certainly can't say I'm an expert in reading mammograms, I do know what my first ones looked like. Happily in the magnified version, I didn't see the the telltale clusters of microcalcifications which resemble a beautiful view of some distant galaxy and yet instill a feeling of dread. Headed back to the waiting room to nervously look at (but not really read) one of the magazines on the table while the radiologist reads the mammogram. Finally the tech returns, calls my name and instead of telling me to go get dressed says they need to take a few more shots. ~sigh . Brain goes into overdrive.

What did they see? Is it back? Which side is it on? What will treatment be like this time? Can I still ride my bike? Will I be ok by 'cross season?
How is it possible to think all that in a split second? The tech tells me they spent so much time getting multiple shots of the left side, they forgot to do a side view on the right. :) So we have some more fun with the mammogram machine, back to the waiting room again, and finally I can get dressed to go meet with the radiologist. She briefly comes out to meet me and tell me everything looks good! Yay!

Next, we head upstairs to see Dr. Troyan. She performed my lumpectomy and skillfully removed the area on the first try with clean margins. The mammo technicians always comment, "That Dr. Troyan does GOOD work." when they try to find my scar to mark with the wire for the mammogram. And she's just plain nice - I'll always love her for crafting a safe way to attach my lucky Abominable Snowman finger puppet to me as I was wheeled into surgery. Had a great checkup, took a few pics and was totally playfully ridiculed when asked if I had any complaints and replied that I had gained 3 lbs since last years checkup.

After the visit, we headed out for a day of celebration. Every year it's something different. Last year, spent way too much money at French Dressing but lingerie shopping after a mammogram/checkup just somehow seems very appropriate. This year, since it was even relatively warm out, we strolled upper Newbury Street. Bought a very appropriate tshirt at Life Is Good and some sweet recycled seaglass plates at Fiddlehead. Then lunch. Last year - fancy lunch at a wine bar on Charles St. This year I felt like slumming it and headed over to All-Star Sandwich in Inman Square. Falafel burger and huge plate of fries. Not the healthiest choice but yummy and washed down with a really good coffee porter from B.B.C.

A good day. No, a REALLY, REALY good day.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

YAY! Glad to hear that everything is clear. No get on your bike and ride!

OldYeller said...

Congrats!