Sunday, May 25, 2008

Cow Pies



I've never met a carb I didn't like. Plus, my grandfather was a baker so it's just in my genes to love bread. So when I come across an interesting recipe I usually try it out. While reading one of my fitness mags (Bicycling? NE Runner? Dirt Rag?), I found a recipe for Whole Wheat Walnut Raisin Rolls which would be a nice replacement for the Luna Bars I usually have in my jersey pocket. I decided to make a batch for this weekend's planned rides. As I was throwing the ingredients in my bread maker to churn up the dough (while on a work con-call) I thought to myself, "Huh...that sounds like too much water...." Instead of adding what made sense to me and adding more if it needed it, I just dumped the whole amount in. After all, I was working (sort of) and didn't want to have to monitor things too closely.

Of course, when the dough was done, it was entirely a goopy mess. There was no way I could form rolls out of this stuff and I didn't want to spend the time of mixing more flour in. I briefly considered tossing it all out, I figured, what the hell. Let's bake them and see what happens. So I scooped the mess out with my hands, put it on a cookie sheet and sure enough, they looked more like chocolate chip cookies instead of bread rolls. Baked them on 450 for about 10-15 min and they are actually quite delicious!

When S got home, she saw them cooling on the counter.

"WHAT are those?!?!? Cow pies?!?!?"

Long explanation from me about what I'd done.

She picks one up, takes a bite,........ "They're good!"

"Yeah, but they're supposed to be rolls."

"Better this way - easier to fit in a jersey pocket."

She had a point. I think I'll keep making them that way. :)

No comments: