Friday, May 16, 2008

Running More Miles Than Biking


For the past THREE weeks I've run more miles than biked. Part of me wants to frantically run down to the local Wailuku bike shop, grab any bike and ride. But then I go for my morning run through Waikea and Makena and I'm ok. Climb two miles and have a great view of the coast. Descend down to Makena Drive, hop on the walking coastal path, and run along one of the most beautiful coastlines in the world. The pic above was from yesterday's run. What you can't see are the fishermen, kayakers, sailors, snorkelers, paddle boarders or as I saw yesterday, two older women greeting the morning with a form of graceful stretching movements on the beach.

Lacing up my running shoes, I've covered gorgeous miles along Sydney harbor, NYC Central Park, under the Golden Gate bridge, through Munich's English Garden, along the mall in DC, through the AZ desert and tons of other places. Being a tourist in running shoes gives you a whole different perspective on your host city. I love it and the past three weeks have reminded me how much I enjoy running.

Back on the plane today and home tomorrow where my bike is waiting. I've missed it but I wouldn't trade the past three weeks for it. ;-)

No comments: