Thursday, May 22, 2008

S Takes the Plunge and Doesn't Puke

I'm the kind of person who actually keeps a list of things I want to do before I die: learn to fly - check; jump out of a plane - check; learn to snowboard - check; learn to mountain bike - check (kind of). Even though I keep managing to knock stuff off my list, it still keeps growing. Go figure. I guess as I travel or read adventure magazines, I see people doing really cool stuff and think, "OMG! I HAVE TO DO THAT!" Current things on the top of my list: do a triathlon (need to learn to swim better), do a week long surf camp in baja ( I guess better swimming skills could come in handy here as well), do a 24hr MTB race and kayak the Galapagos. I also managed to discover a new sport, put it on the list and cross it off within the week I was in Maui (learn to paddle surf). Awesome, awesome, awesome fun! If I didn't have to deal with the f*&^%% cold Atlantic, I'd buy one. Great work out and really just a blast. We didn't managed to grab any pictures while fooling around on them which is probably just as well. I don't need embarrassing wipe-out pics of me on the web.

But anyway, I digress. Two years ago I decided I really wanted to check off "Learn to sail" on my list. And I did. I never thought I'd like it more than flying but quite honestly, it's way more relaxing and I don't have to wear headphones that wreck my hair. ;-) Alas, for two years, I've never managed to get S to sail with me. Did she think I'd dump her over in Bahstahn Hahbah? Get blown out to Bermuda? Make her clean the head? No - none of that. She trusted me just not her stomach. She gets more seasick than anyone I know. Years ago, on a daysail to Vineyard Haven, I actually saw her turn a vivid shade of green - exactly like Elphaba in Wicked. Fortunately, she's discovered this seasick medication, Sturgeron. The bad news is it isn't available in the US. Regardless, she's managed to stock up due to business travel and it definitely worked wonders. In fact, after sailing to Lahaina on a 48 ft catamaran, I convinced her to try zipping around on the tiny Hobie cat. Video proof below. (And yes, she did drag the video camera through the water off the boat for a bit.)


No comments: