Thursday, September 25, 2008

Obsession Update....


Thanks to mkr, I think I may have decided on a frame for my current obsession, the Hooligan by Soul Cycles. It has an eccentric bottom bracket which means a bit more weight but the vertical rear dropouts means it can run normal QR rear axle hubs. And, by going with disc brakes, I'll be able to swap wheels between 26 mtb wheels for the woods and 700c wheels for commuting. Hold on....I need to wipe the drool off my keyboard.....

And so it begins, the obsession over all the little parts that go on it. I've started a spreadsheet to keep track of all the bits and pieces and keep wondering just how much I can agonize over each component. So far, the only decisions I've made are to go with the Avid BB7 mechanical disc brakes and my favorite bar, the Easton Monkeylite Carbon XC bars. I need to figure out the fork soon since that's likely to cost more than the frame....that's just wrong! And I have absolutely no clue about ss gearing...more research, more questions for mkr and anyone who will listen.

And speaking of cost, given all the economic madness going on, I actually do have second thoughts about spending $$$ on a bike I don't truly NEED. And I am trying to keep it relatively inexpensive. And while I was feeling guilty even contemplating a new bike, I came across a post on this site. I don't feel so bad now.

And Mike, thanks for feeding my obsession....and I'll be hitting you up for more advice!

No comments: