Thursday, April 05, 2007

A New Year, New Season, New Goals

So my blog ended up being pretty lame during CX season. Maybe that's a good thing - I was too busy riding to be typing. To sum it up, the season was fun, Nationals was a blast and it left me aiming a little higher for the next season.

Last year, the NEBC women had a really comprehensive, great training program that I totally ignored. Why? Well, I was running, sailing boarding and generally doing a little bit of everything. I'm still somewhat perplexed by the fact that I can do some haphazard training for running and still win my age group. But cycling is a totally different animal. If you want to ride well, you have to ride a lot. Every time I complained, "I'm SOOOO slow! How do those girls beat me!" to anyone who knows anything about cycling (S, PFFC, The Columbian) all I heard back is , "They actually ride all the time."

And so, as hard as it is for me to do, I'm going to try to take my ADD training and actually focus on riding. Wah! I'm going to miss running.

So here are my refrigerator goals (yes, they are posted there):

  1. Stick with THE PLAN!
  2. Race 5 crits
  3. Race 3 MTB races
  4. Race 2 road races
  5. Race the CBTT at least 10 times and improve my time 10% over the season
  6. Race every cross weekend
  7. Top 10 place in KC
So, I've spent the winter doing base miles on a spin bike. Lovely. It's April now and my view outside is all white - yes, another winter storm even though it's spring. THE PLAN says I'm supposed to do 118 minutes today. The roads were too icy so I went to Abusive Spin Class, (brand new spin bikes - Star Trac NXT - nice!) started class early, did class, stayed late and ended up with 113 minutes. Not bad. I actually can't believe I managed to stay on the bike that long inside.


As an aside, picked up the Merlin yesterday with its new cables, drivetrain (new Campy Chorus carbon compact cranks!). It's looking sweet! Unfortunately, given the snow and next week's travel to CA, I probably won't get to ride it until mid-April. Maybe by then I can even ride without booties.

No comments: