Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Jorge's Wild Ride





Last week, Jorge (a.k.a. The Colombian) came by my office to talk me into a ride. He's part of a team doing the 24 Hours of Great Glen race (a race I really want to do sometime) and he wanted to do a long-ish ride on 'cross bikes. The goal - avoid asphalt as much as possible, seek new routes, to go where no Columbian has gone before. ;-)

We got a late start due to pouring rain at 7am. This ensured the trails would be extra muddy and slippery. Even more fun. It also meant the streams were higher than normal. Hence, our water crossing.


After our first stream crossing, we have the following conversation:

Jorge: "You know, Teri, at some point we're going to have to cross the Concord River."
Me: "Uh huh. Should we look at the map and figure it out?"
Jorge: "No! We'll just ride and if we hit it, we'll swim."
Me: "I can't swim. And, besides, what about the bikes?"
Jorge: "They'll float. Upside down."
Me: "I'm not swimming! And I'm not putting the Tsunami in the river!"
I wasn't quite sure I convinced him, however, and feared that in our meandering we would hit the river and I'd be dog paddling.

Shortly after this conversation, Jorge somehow managed to ride over a hornets' nest. Ooops. His head was engulfed in a cloud of the meanies. Watching him pick up the pace, swat as his head as he rode and not biff it on the trail was pretty amusing. I had a good laugh but paid for it when I was stung in the butt (they didn't sting him, just me. Nice.)

Despite my griping, I really enjoyed the ride. Even the wading across the pond. We stopped in Concord for coffee and croissants (thanks, Jorge!). I'm still waiting for my shoes to dry, though.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Too bad the Columbian didn't realize that there are trails AROUND that pond ;).

We've done most of that loop on 'cross bikes as well, but never had to wade through.