Monday, July 28, 2008

Passport Stamp Quest By Bike

Saturday, I went out for a ride with S and PFFC. And I STILL cannot get those guys to branch out. They will insist that we did change up the ride a bit but somehow adding 1 mile of new road in a 42 mile ride doesn't count in my world. I didn't press the issue since I new I'd be going out on ride the next day that could become epic given I'd be following the Crazy Columbian (and it did - more on that in another post).

We went out past Hanscom, through Concord, up Strawberry Hill (with a little diversion - those guys started shaking once we went off route and quickly scurried back to the tried and true waypoints that are permanently etched in their brain. I'm kidding, guys. Kind of.)

Anyway, we stopped at the "Pee Pavilion" (a.k.a. Great Brook Farm) for what Phil Ligget would call a "natural break". Given that I was dehydrated and not drinking enough, I roamed through the picnic pavilion while S and PFFC went to use the facilities. I saw the above poster for the Massachusetts DCR Passport Program. How cool! What a great idea for kids! It's part of the "No Child Left Inside" program. Kids can go to each park with their passport, find the stamp box, open it with the secret code in the passport and then stamp it on the appropriate page. When they accumulate the stamps for a region, they can then get a pretty darn cool t-shirt.

And then, thought about it some more, realized I'm a 46 year old kid, and damn, I'm going to get a passport and ride my bike to or in as many of Massachusetts State Parks (76) that I can and collect the stamps. A ranger was nice enough to give us passports right there and then. She was so surprised that adults were into it that she took our pictures for their site. Really psyched to start collecting some!












No comments: